Relationships behind the scenes.
Your house is a big system, made up of smaller systems.
Think of it like a car. If the transmission isn't working properly, your engine will not work well either. If your tires are low, you will lose fuel efficiency, and so on.
In a house, the major component parts include:
- Building envelope (roof, walls, windows, doors and foundation)
- Mechanical systems (heating and cooling systems, ventilation system, and exhaust fans, humidifiers and dehumidifiers etc.)
- Occupants (number of people, their lifestyle, how the house is operated and lived in)
- External environment (climate)
Each system can influence the performance of the whole house.
- An airtight building envelope will affect how efficiently the furnace operates
- By programming thermostats to control comfort, occupants can improve energy efficiency